Friday, August 30, 2013
Don't Lose your Hair!
Hair loss is a major fear of many men, but did you know that balding also affects women? Check out these five tips in preventing hair loss, from allure.com. Many of these tips will help you retain a full head of hair whether your genetics are a factor or not! In honor of National Hair Loss Awareness Month, here are five things you need to know to avoid getting bald spots before your time.
1. Rethink your diet: The idiom "you are what you eat" applies to your hair health, too. "Hair and scalp
2. Chill out: Elevated stress levels may cause an increase in shedding, so it's important to take time to relax your mind. And while exercising is a great way to reduce tension, be aware: Too much working out can provoke hair loss.
3. Don't forget about your scalp: "Infrequent washing encourages dandruff, and studies have shown that dandruff can cause or exacerbate hair loss," Phillips explains. "If you already have dandruff or a flaky/itchy scalp, use special[ized] shampoos and toners to help clear irritation and flakes."
4. Take your vitamins: Get your fill of the necessary scalp and hair vitamins by taking supplements. Add calcium, iron, zinc, gelatin protein, soy protein, and vitamins D, B12, and B6 to your daily diet. It seems like a laundry list, but if you're patient, you'll notice the difference.
5. See a specialist: If you know hair loss runs in the family, it's worth it to see a specialist. A trichologist, like Phillips, deals specifically with the hair and scalp. A simple blood test can determine the cause of your hair loss and suss out the solution.
Posted by Alecia at 1:54 PM